Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Hunger Games in one, short paragraph

One of my (Christian) soccer mom friends posted the trailer to the Hunger Games last October on her Facebook page.  She was beyond excited, so I replied to find out what the big deal was. She highly recommended reading the books. During basketball season, one of the (Christian) basketball moms mentioned it, and also highly recommended it. Since this particular friend is completely on my level when it comes to books, I decided this had to be a book I needed to read. She was so sure I would love the story, she lent me all three of hers. The week before the movie was to come out, I read them. Yes. All three. In a span of four days. (When I get sucked into a book series, I get sucked in!)

(Oh you're looking for the one short paragraph? Click here.)


I've seen several descriptions of this story. I was most amazed at the relentless concern (especially in Christian circles) over children killing children. Is children killing children right? Of course not. Thou Shalt Not Kill. I was amazed because the games in this story, is but one part of a MUCH larger picture! Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. I have yet to see the ongoing narrative in Christian circles about concern over popular Xbox games. The emulation of war. Killing for sport- for the sake of killing. If we're going to be concerned about violence, should we not be concerned about violence such as this? It seems pretty selective, if you ask me.

I've seen the comment that as Christians, we should only be dwelling on what is good and pure (Philippians 4:8), and that is why the Hunger Games shouldn't be read. I believe having a heroine that is ready to lay her life down for her sister is pretty good and pure, if you ask me! I believe having a best friend who is already the sole food provider for his mother and siblings, love you so much he is willing to make sure your own mother and sister do not starve, is pretty good and pure! I believe putting your own life in danger to ensure a friend survives, is good and pure!

I've seen comments that troubled teens already thinking of murdering their peers, do not need to have their fans flamed by a graphic fantasy. Something tells me if a teen is going to shoot up their school, there's something deeper going on than a book they've read. Perhaps a lack of Christian love and influence in their lives? I even saw a comment that said the books had no "moral of the story". I'm not sure what book they actually read, because there were a number of morals throughout the books (see above)! 

I've seen comments how 'children's fantasy' can be harmful if it plunges a child into the world of murder. I can rent that. (That might be why this book series is written for teenagers. It's not children's fantasy.) Will I allow my ten year old read these books? No. For her personality, it's too much detail. Will she see the movie? Yes. The movie is balanced in a way she can appreciate the themes without being overwhelmed by the details of it all. Would I have let her older brother (13) read it when he was ten? Yes. He can handle such details. Has he seen the movie? Yes. He went opening weekend and loved it. Do I fear my children will be tempted to harm another child because they've been exposed to this story? No. Well, yes. Maybe each other. But not anyone else. However, they were tempted to hurt each other before the Hunger Games come in to their lives. Fortunately, I am afforded the freedom to choose what my kids read and watch without them having any fear of being judged or ridiculed by their peers.

The bible says "I will set no wicked thing before my eyes" (Psalm 101:3), but this verse cannot be used against the Hunger Games. It would be different if the author wrote the story in such a way that all the characters gloried in the killing of teenagers between the ages of 12-18. That would be sadistic and twisted. However, that is not the TRUTH, the MORAL, this story.

Tabitha Hale, political activist, wrote an article that summed up the reality of what the Hunger Games is, including spoilers for the entire book series. If you tempt easy and are remotely thinking of seeing the movies or reading the books, I do not advise clicking to her article but trusting in this one paragraph that summarizes what the story is actually about:

"The Hunger Games" is a story about freedom. It shows how a destructive culture, lack of truth-telling media, and centralized power destroy a society. It has clearly struck a chord. Read it. Understand it. THEN go see the movie.
 If you do not like action fantasy, do not read it. If you do not get into post apocalyptic stories, then this story is not for you. However, just because your taste in literature does not include such stories, does not mean the people who DO appreciate these stories are unholy or out of touch with God. If I actually believed the accusations made against this story without reading the books for myself, I would be guilty of incorrectly, and unjustly judging others for their choice in literature. God forbid, I ever do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment